View Single Post
Old October 29th, 2014, 01:29 PM   #18
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): Ugly 89 frankenstien special ex250, and the "Zooks" : 1982 GS450 and 1979 GS1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxtc1 View Post
Tyres are 90 profile, so when on the main stand both tyres were touching the ground on the stock shock, now with the slightly longer shock the main stand is pretty much a support on either side as she stands on the wheels (4 points of contact ).
the altered ride height at rear only has changed the angle of the engine, now tilted forward slightly more than previously.
On a stock suspension with stock tires the rear is about a half inch off the ground on the centerstand (not 100% sure but it's very close to that). Is your centerstand still touching on both feet, or does it wobble from left to right, like a table whose legs aren't just right? I think you're saying that both sides of the centerstand touch the ground. If that's the case, then the bike is at the same angle relative to horizontal as it is with a stock shock. Following me so far?

The only other piece of the puzzle that could cause a difference in this angle is the front suspension, ei if the rear was so high it shifted enough weight to the front to compress the fork springs shorter than their normal sag height. So say for the sake of brainstorming that the forks were compressed an extra half inch (I think that's a very liberal estimate btw). What's the bike's wheelbase, 5 feet? So the difference in angle is half an inch in 5 feet. From the front of the crankcase to the oil sight glass is, let's just say, a foot. That difference in angle should be one 10th of an inch in the sight glass.

The sight glass is about 11/16" in diameter isn't it? That's about 0.7 inches. So the oil shouldn't go down more than a 7th of the diameter of the sight glass. So if it were in the middle of the sight glass on stock suspension, it would be something like 1/3 of the way up the sight glass with our super-high/stiff rear end.

Where I'm going with all this stuff is that it's going to take a huge difference in suspension height to make the difference in the oil level you're describing.