Thread: high rpms?
View Single Post
Old August 15th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #15
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

Sounds good, thanks Don.

So I just went for a 40 minute ride around the neighborhood to play around with rpm's and shifting, and since i've never used a manual transmission before, i've been kinda clueless. but i think it finally hit me while i was riding (figuratively, i wasnt actually hit by anything ). higher rpms in 1st... means more power when you shift to second, which means you'll accelerate much quicker than if you had lower rpms (lower power) then shifted, because the second gear requires more power than the first, so if you shift with low rpms, the engine will need to work harder on the next gear because you didn't build enough power up in the gear before.

i've understood how transmissions work and such, but never really applied it to accelerating on a bike.

as for breaking in the bike,.. obviously don't red line it, but heres my theory:
there's a ton of idiots out there, and im sure they don't know how to break in a bike any better than i do, but i've yet to hear a story that goes "so i didn't break in my bike the right way and my engine blew up"
so as far as im concerned, with a little bit of common sense , i don't think one can "break in a bike the wrong way" (assuming the common sense is directed towards the bike and riding). i think Don's post supports this in a sense.

but if in some time from now, i come back on here a post a thread called
"i broke in my bike the wrong way" then disregard this whole post.