Thread: EX500 project
View Single Post
Old November 28th, 2014, 08:59 AM   #16
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by oroboros View Post
Agreed... that is the best first question!

I got nasty little surprise when I had the bike on the back of a pick-up at the notary signing for the title... "Oh ya, the title say 17K but the odometer says 10K. The PO told me it was just a typo" Oh right! sure it was. More like he had to replace it after a get off. I was already in too far to care that much.

The second best question might be "let me SEE the title".
You absolutely have to confirm the Title is for the bike you are buying by cross-checking the Title's VIN with the actual bike's VIN, and you also need to confirm there is not Lien on it (money due to a borrower). Then you need to be sure the name on the Title is the actual person that is selling it - and they need to sign it as "Seller".

Sometimes people will buy a bike and not register or Title it, then sell it. If that happens (like it did to a friend of mine), the Title will be signed over to someone other than you as "Buyer". In that case you may need to pay for the taxes due from the previous transaction, PLUS the taxes due for your transaction, in order to get a new Title and registration in your name.

There's a lot that can go wrong, so always be careful.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote