View Single Post
Old August 20th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #7
ASecretNinja
ATGATT Squid Killer

Name: Chad

Motorcycle(s): '06 CBR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF-Dug View Post
As for mesh jackets they are a joke IMHO. They do not provide adequate protection in a crash. There are some mesh jackets that have a outer shell that is supposed to provide the abrasion protection. Of course if you remove that protective outer layer on a hot day you are then riding without any protection again abrasion.

Do not expect a mesh jacket to work as well as a full protective jacket with armor inserts made out of proven anti-abrasive material such as leather, textiles such as Aramid (Kevlar) or other materials designed to protect against abrasion.
You've been grossly misinformed about mesh (or textile) jackets. Most (if not all) of the higher quality ones have the same armor zones that nice leather jackets have: elbows, shoulders, and a back protector. Some even have CE Knox certified armor, the same good stuff that comes in quality leather ones. I know this because I have been extensively shopping around for a mesh one because I've been roasting in my leather one this summer.

Thankfully I've never had to test it out, but the main difference in collision protection between a quality textile jacket and a leather counterpart, is that the textile won't hold up during as many collisions (between one and three[if you're lucky]). But if you're repeatedly laying down your bike on the street in the first place, there is a good chance that you need to choose a different hobby.
ASecretNinja is offline   Reply With Quote