View Single Post
Old December 17th, 2014, 12:51 PM   #16
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

This is one of the biggest conflict between some schools I know of. Weight on arms and braking. The statement : "NEVER HAVE WEIGHT IN YOUR HANDS" is simply... wrong.

I'll ask you this first. Why do you think MotoGP riders have arm pump and have surgery especially coming from lower classes?

Break forces are way higher in bigger classes. But more importantly, they use their arms while braking. Tell Stefan Bradl he's doing it wrong

Here's how it's done:
1) Never sit in the middle of the seat. Always be off to the side the next turn is. The only exception is a huge long straight where you wanna tuck in perfectly.

2) Let's say you're on the front straight. You're approaching the corner. You brake hard. Keep ALL YOUR WEIGHT in your palms. PALMS. not fists. Don't grab the handle bars tight. You'll realize that when you put all your weight in your palms you'll still be able to wiggle your fingers freely. Which means you can control your clutch and brake smoothly.

3) Since you have no weight on your legs or feet, you're free to position your butt cheek, feet, downshift. I seriously have 0 problem lifting my butt half an inch and putting it anywhere on the seat under heavy braking. Why? cause there's no weight on my legs.

4) As you approach the corner and start the lean, you're ready to take off brake pressure. As you take brake pressure off you are taking away weight off your palms. It's not an on off switch right?

Weight transfer from your bike's front to center to rear.
Weight on your palms transferring to your legs.
Your lean angle.

These are all variable and depend on each other. The more lean you have, the less brake pressure you should have. Less brake pressure = Less weight on your palms. So in full lean you have no brake. You're ready to add throttle. You have no weight in your arms/hands.

Take it or leave it
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.