View Single Post
Old December 28th, 2014, 07:44 PM   #73
chrly
ninjette.org member

Name: Charley

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Kawasaki EX300 , 1999 Kawasaki ZRX1200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
For the thin stuff we're talking about, a hot air gun (not a hair dryer) or a propane torch works.

You'll want to clamp up the smaller plane of the workpiece that gets bent between two pieces of wood held in a vice. Then slowly heat the workpiece with your torch (back and forth along the bend line, which is just above where it's clamped). Not too close, or it will bubble the plexiglass!

Try bending the part sticking out of the vice: when it's ready, bend it to the desired angle (or a little further, as there'll be a bit of "setback"). Hold it in position for a few seconds while it cools. Voila! A finished hand protector!

Practice with a scrap piece of plexiglass first. You'll be a pro at this by the end of the afternoon!

I intend to make a set of these for my pre-gen sometime next year. I figure most of the time will be spent designing it and making the cardboard template.
I will just add that if you mess it up, just lay it on a flat surface and heat the piece, it will flatten back out,,and keep the gun/torch moving , do NOT leave3 it in one placew and heat the underside a bit too, not just the top...