View Single Post
Old January 1st, 2015, 08:38 AM   #9
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

The 100mph suit is a two piece deal.

The pants are bibs with suspenders. They are really easy to get on and off. The top part goes all the way up your chest and back, so rain from your jacket doesnt go down your pants. That was the biggest problem I had with frogg toggs....the rain that hit my back would work it's way down between the bottom of the jacket and the waist band.

Also, the legs are long enough that they cover the top of your boot even in a sitting position on the bike. That was another problem...so many of the rainsuit offerings didnt make the legs long enough, and they were fine while standing. But when you sit on the bike the legs pulled up and allowed water to go down into the top of your boot.

The other thing is the seams, even on some of the best other rainsuits, eventually water will work its way through the seams. Usually the butt, because you are sitting on a wet seat. These...nothing gets through. You could sit in a puddle for an hour, and not get wet.

Its Gore-tex, so it's guarenteed to be waterproof. They will give you your money back or a replacement if it ever fails.

This suit is covered in some pretty tough denier fabric, so it's abrasion resistance would probably be like textile gear in many aspects. Of course, its not motorcycle crash tested, so you'd want to wear some MC gear underneath. Fortunatly the suit is available in sizes large enough to allow you to wear proper gear underneath, or insulating clothing.

The suit itself is not insulated, which is nice for the warmer weather. Just bundle up underneath it in colder weather. They do make a zip-in insulation liner for the jacket that will add warmth if needed.

As for the jacket, it has a flip down part in the back to extend the length to guarentee that nothing will work its way under the back part of the jacket. If you are wearing the bibs under it...it's not needed anyway.

The wrists on the jacket have some real nice inside tight neoprene cuffs that prevent EVERYTHING from running up your arms. And then on top of that they have velcro cuffs on the outside that will allow you to cinch up the jacket to really lock it down.

That was problem #3 with everything else I tried. Water would run off my hands down the cuff and along my arms. The frogg toggs worked the best out of the cheaper options, however the elastic band around the wrist would become water logged and eventually start wicking water onto my shirt or jacket sleeves underneath.

As for the hood....I don't use it because my helmet is covering my head. And it's removable too. The collar rides high enough so that water off your helmet wont run down your neck. And it's fleece lined so it's comfortable.

The suit is roomy inside, and very comfortable. The tough fabric is pretty stiff on the outside so it doesn't flap around in the wind, yet still is flexable enough not to restrict your movement. The inside is lined with a satin like material that doesn't hang up on your clothing when you slide your arms in the sleeves or legs in the pants.

It's not nearly as bulky as it looks, you can easily cram the whole suit into a backpack.

Apparently bass pro listened to its customers, because the new versions have a zippered crotch on the bibs so that you can wee without removing the entire bibs.

Bass pro also makes the pro-qualifier jacket and bibs for $10 less a pop. The pro-qualifier bibs are just as nice as the 100mph ones...and they have a zipper that runs the full length of the leg. The jacket however doesnt compare to the 100mph one. So if you're looking to save a bit...pro-qual bibs and 100mph jacket would be a good combo, and save you about $10 bucks.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.