View Single Post
Old January 3rd, 2015, 05:55 PM   #20
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post

I've been slowly swapping over JIS screws to hex head screws as I find places they would be convenient. Carb bowls mainly.

I'm debating replacing the bolts on the case covers like suggested in the Thermobob thread. looks nice, and the stainless hex head fasteners won't oxidize like the bolts on mine currently are. Any places in particular you'd suggest not swapping to stainless hex heads for convenience?

I meant to say allen head bolts. My bad. I want more hex type bolts.

These types are on the exhaust headers...

Mine came out without much fuss but I have seen threads where people had issues with the head of the bolt breaking off leaving the thread still in the engine.

And on my bike at least on one of the allen head bolts that tightens the exhaust pipe to the header was rusted really bad. Luckily I got it off.

I just like having normal hex head bolts that allow me to use an open end wrench or socket. Sometimes getting into places with a socket is not easily possible. I'm sure with the right tools this is a non-issue but this is the first vehicle that I've worked on that has a lot of these allen head bolts.