adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
Yes absolutely, you roll on the gas asap once the bike is turned but what do you do with the pressure on the handlebars? Do you continue pressing on the bar throughout the entire turn or do you counter-steer into the turn and then STOP pressing the bar and then roll on the gas?

M
I would have to say stop.

Countersteering is what makes the bike flop over in the first place... so logically, continuing with the pressure will make it flop over further.

In other words, countersteering initiates the turn. If you relax, you're not turning the bike any more. It's at steady state, tracking around a circle (assuming you've got maintenance throttle). More countersteering would add more lean/turn until, ultimately, you fall down and go boom.

The way I picture countersteering is that you're making the wheel "trip" and start to fall over. Once that happens, if you relax the wheel will come back and start tracking around the turn all by itself... because of caster effect (trail).

The mental image I have is of a coin rolling along. "Steer" it to the left but keep it moving straight ahead (which it will want to do because it's got inertia) and it's easy to see how it will fall over to its right -- in the direction opposite the steer. Carry the image further and remove the steering input, and you can see how caster will make it return to equilibrium... but because we're now leaned, steering geometry will naturally make it track around the turn.

But continue the steering input and it just wants to keep falling.....

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.