Thread: Bare bones cafe
View Single Post
Old January 16th, 2015, 01:13 PM   #1
Hasersys
ninjette.org member

Name: Hasersys

Motorcycle(s): Have owned Ninja250,EX500,Xj650,RD250,XV750

Bare bones cafe

I got this bike last summer, rode it for about 4 months until a bearing went. Or at least I think it was a bearing. I got another cheap motor but haven't checked to see if it is a runner or not. I have built a few other bikes in the past but never a mono shock cafe style. So I figured Id tear her down an do that.

My Goal
I would love to make this just a good riding minimum cafe, not the most safe but i have other rides for that. Only a head light and tail light, Although I love turn signals and will probably just end up adding them. It really gets annoying when other motorist don't use their turn signals. I have an app on my cell phone for speed ometer, and not sure about a tachometer yet. The iphone app isn't the best but I have used it on one of my bobbers an it gets the job done. I want to paint it dark blue, or ninja green.. but can't figure that out yet. I do not want to hack up the wiring harnes but hide it well.

So Far
I have the frame partly done, the new rear hoop is welded up. I still need some tabs and stuff that will come later. The biggest thing that is a little more than half way done right now is the fiber glass rear I am making. Still have some work left before I glass it, and not sure If I am going to glass it and use that for a mold, or just glass and sand.

Alot to do still
Want to fill in the tank indents.
Rebuild the fork seals
clipons,headlight, blah blah.

Questions
I have a ton to ask
Any recommendation on jetting for pods and a different exhaust?
Is there any nice 4-1 out there or is stock best?
If I go to a newer 250 rear shock how much taller is it? Research says 1"?
I am big, not fat just big for this bike.. almost 6ft at 200lbs. Can I get that shock stiffer for my fat Ash?
Front tire!? So I want to run a bigger front tire. I have seen the larger size people have ran on here, but with the rear up 1" from stock will this have bad tendencies? I want the bike to look nice but I want it to handle ok.
The last thing before I have to head off to work, What is everyones feelings on rear sets? Is the stock position best?

The bike is a 1994, the second engine I have is also a mid 90s.. but not sure how well or if it runs yet. that will come last.

Criticize Away if there is anything I am doing wrong learn me sum
Hasersys is offline   Reply With Quote