View Single Post
Old January 16th, 2015, 06:16 PM   #80
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

I have a hammock, but I'd rather a tent.

The problem I have with hammocks is as follows.

It has ZERO insulating properties, so in cooler weather you'll need a pretty hefty insulating layer to stay warm. And because of airflow, it actually wicks warmth away from you = great in hot summer months, but sucks in fall/winter. However, in the summer you are going to need bug/rain protection....so

In the summer you have to add bug/rainfly, which makes it weigh and take up space as much as a good tent.
In the winter you have to add insulation, which makes it weigh and take up space as much as a good tent.

You also can't sleep on your side in one....at least not unless you don't mind your hipbone hitting your ribs. You can't set up in an open field or clearing because you need trees to anchor to.

I tried it, but I MUCH prefer a tent,sleeping bag, and thermarest. Then you get wind, rain, thermal, and bug protection.

Cuban fiber started off as sail material, they made sails for America's Cup sailboat racers with it. It's extremely durable for its weight, but it's also insanely expensive and really REALLY difficult to sew.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote