Thread: Z2 Track Days
View Single Post
Old January 23rd, 2015, 01:18 AM   #5
AlanDog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, 2009 KLX250-SF, 2014 Zero S

zoom zoom feedback

Overall happy with the zoom zoom C group trackday experience (I've done two days with ZZ, one at Thunderhill, one at Sonoma). At Thunderhill there was just an overflow of coaches, I mean it was like 1:1 ratio, and most riders weren't even bothering. So I did ask coaches to lead and follow and tried to get some feedback. So hard to complain about that! I was by far the slowest person on the track, it's weird how my 4 trackdays have been like totally different experiences in terms of the riders that show up.

Sonoma C group was well organized, and the sighting lap was a reasonable speed. But the crowds! Ahhhh! I spent most the sessions, I mean like 75% of my riding time, behind a pack of riders who just had to slow down so much in the corners. There was no aggressive riders but also no good places to pass (on an underpowered bike). The last few sessions it cleared out (either people went home or they got faster, I guess...) The advice I got was to go into the pits and I was doing that but the C group was like 2-3 rolling waves of super-slow beginners (this was my 3rd trackday, and I was on a 1981 Honda cx500, I was not breaking any records here, not bragging). I loved the track though, and by the end of the day, I felt I got an awesome experience just being there as a rider and not a spectator.

I wish I could come up with a solution. Maybe you can charge more on some days and advertise that the group size will be smaller!? Or try to promote a 1st timers C group day and then have a day with 'no first-timer C group'??? I do think it is important to be friendly to 1st timers. Maybe try to pull off the slowest riders and do 1:1 coaching?

You did emphasize in the morning meeting "not to be that guy that goes slow in the turns and speeds up on the straights" but you could have been more specific (maybe you were?): check behind you when you hit a straightaway, and if there are a few riders behind you (and you're seeing them lap after lap...) let them pass you! Oh, telling a rider to look behind them is a no-no, right? How about say "there is one place on the track where you should look behind you..." or "if you're on a liter bike, before you twist the throttle..."

At Sonoma I guess I just didn't hear it repeated/emphasized enough where the coaches were and how to get one. They need to be parked under a big sign at the start "FREE COACHING HERE"

Okay, this might sound like a negative review, but overall, you guys do a great job, I imagine it is a tough job (you know, being at the track all the time...) I had a great time, I'll definitely be back this year.
AlanDog is offline   Reply With Quote