View Single Post
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #18
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonne View Post
I've read the wiki... I'm just confused as to what I should be doing. One of the links says "You can ride your bike now like it's broken in, except I recommend you try to avoid lugging the engine or running at a constant speed on the freeway for long times until after your next oil change." This is the same thing my coworker told me, so I was curious as to what break-in method the OP was using since she is hitting higher speeds already. I'm not sure if that would include holding a constant high speed on freeways though.

What would be considered a "long time", anyway? I guess I need some guidelines. I've only done a really short spurt of 100 km/h (maybe 5 minutes of it) because I wasn't sure if I should go any longer.
A long time would be hours at the same RPM, picture riding 1/2 way across Montana at the same engine speed.

The lugging part is valid too, there will of course be times you dip down a little or find yourself a gear or two too low and pull from a low RPM, but don't short-shift so you are bouncing just above idle all the time.

I am finishing break-in very similar to what cifex did and it is more or less what the dealer told me to do with regards to starting soft and running the engine faster over time. Be mindful and take it easy but don't be afraid to spin it out more and more as you put miles on it.
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote