View Single Post
Old March 11th, 2015, 12:48 AM   #10
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by denshidereku View Post
History/Backlog:

Bought it used with 1.7k miles on it Summer 2013. Obviously that low mileage with this old model means it's sat in a garage somewhere mostly unused until I bought it...

Drops:

This happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AKfsk5jbnU

A similar drop occurred during the summer but on dirt gravel at 10mph as opposed to 15mph.

Maintenance:

When first drop occured, the sight glass was broken by the rear brake pedal so that got replaced, and at the same time the oil was changed.

Coolant also was leaking until my dad (a Semi-Truck mechanic) took a look at it and IDK what he did but the leak was fixed... if I recall correctly he probably just checked a variety of hose connections to make sure everything that may have been jarred loose was snug.

This was about 4k miles ago and are the most recent oil/coolant changes. Plan on changing the oil soonish (maybe another 2k as it is synthetic).

Rear Brake pads and rear tire were replaced before a 1.6k trip. Replaced the old rear tire with a new stock rear tire because it was cheaper than the other tire I had in mind and I wore the old one down to the point the bead wire was exposed so I needed it replaced asap.

Chain was adjusted last fall (Septemberish) after I did my annual trip to ohio and back (1.6k trip).

---

This problem first occurred on a cold morning (40ish degrees out) when I was in a rush and going full throttle for an extended period of time the bike gradually lost power as though it were losing gas, and continued to only to proceed at 7 to 8k rpm at full throttle.

---

More recently there is just a "weak zone" of torque at that same range, but otherwise it operates smooth enough.

---

I am currently at 12.7k so I'm overdue to do all the 12k servicing and will plan to do so this weekend.

That said, unless my dad did a lot of the 6k service schedule stuff... I am not aware of any other maintenance done to it.

Local motorcycle shop said over the phone I probably just need to clean my carbs.

Thoughts?
Now this is what I'm talking about, thank you

Okay so one can assume it spent no time in storage, it's your daily ride.

If you've never cleaned the carburetors, it's time now, if anything to help establish a solid baseline, and install a fuel filter too. Also check all fuel, and vacuum hoses for leaks, cracks, etc.....

Another thing to check is the fuel itself. Has the problem gone on longer than a single tank, or multiple tanks? Contaminated?

Proper Petcock function?

Since the bike has been dropped, it's possible that the sediment in the fuel bowls as been shook up and got it the circuits, and/or float height was disturbed.

Checked the air filter?

Dropping a bike is rough, especially on the carburetors.

You can try some fuel system additives, like Seafoam, Chevron, Dri-Gas, whatever you like. Also if there is no fuel filter, install one ASAP.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote