View Single Post
Old March 18th, 2015, 03:20 PM   #57
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post

Attitude is everything and with that attitude sir, you will never learn anything.

Simply put, it takes much more than what most riders think to put a bike in the dirt (wet or dry for that matter). Riders don't crash because it's wet, they crash because they don't know what to do in the wet. And... there is only one way to learn how, by going riding in the wet.

At the end of the day, learning what you can do is much the same as learning what you can't do. Both are put in the same column, "I learned something."
Um...thanks for that Chris...

Huh? That's silly. The wet masks all sorts of issues that would normally be visible or not a concern in the dry. Braking is reduced. Lock-up is much more difficult to modulate.

Learning to control a dirt bike that's out of shape is a much better learning tool than trying to control a street bike that's out of shape.

What exactly are you trying to "learn" on the street in the rain? How to ride fast? Spin the rear? Slide the front?

I don't get the concept I guess.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote