View Single Post
Old March 21st, 2015, 01:46 PM   #13
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (Red/SOLD), 2008 Ninja 250R (Black/SOLD), 2005 ZX6R (Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
If the clutch has been abused and hence overheated, chances are that the steel plates are twisted.
When this happens, they keep touching and dragging the fiber plates when the lever is fully pressed.

If the clutch has had a lot of use, sometimes the grooves in which the plate's fingers slide develop dents.
When that happens, the free axial movement of each plate while the clutch is rotating is restricted and a similar dragging phenomena happens.

Either one makes finding Neutral very difficult as the transmission parts remain under load when shifting.

If replacing the oil with the recommended grade does not solve the problem, your friend my need a clutch disassemble and inspection.

For general directions, see:
http://www.dansmc.com/clutches.htm

http://s135.photobucket.com/user/lon...lutch.jpg.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Yep, about 30k you should be lookin' at a new clutch. Hopefully you just have a simple problem, but it's coming either way. I have to do mine this season. Losing first gear.

The key advice is pretty good. Now... r6's are known to have some ignition wear that makes the key switch a bit finicky. No amount of lube or keys will fix it either. An old school locksmith can make a key that will minimize the issue, but it will still be there. If you find this tradesmith, have him make you 2 keys, if not 3.
Thank you both for the very helpful advice. I will update once the basics have been done and hopefully that will help fix the issue. And if not then it's time to take off the clutch cover and inspect it! Thank you motofool for the very help and informative read on clutches mate! And thank you csmith12 for that piece of advice on the ignition key issue. I personally didnt know that modern R6s are known to have ignition wear like that either. Team Kawi all the way haha
RandomPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote