Thread: 08 carbs on 07
View Single Post
Old January 26th, 2015, 10:05 AM   #11
ninjunk
Lostcause enthusiast

Name: Graham

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX250F

So I finished rebuilding/reconfiguring the carbs this weekend. Didn't get a chance to put them on and fire it up, but I just wanted to update and post my findings.

The '00 carbs had a different needle and emulsion tube as well as different main jets. I'll edit this post tonight when I get home with the specific values.

The 08 carbs were identical L/R except for one thing, the needles were very very slightly different. That was the only difference i could find.

The 08 emulsion tubes only had a few small holes in them, where the '00 emulsion tubes have the more familiar pattern, i.e. sucking in more air.

The needles have a markedly different profile. The '00 needles had a sharp step in them followed by a gradual taper, whereas the '08 needles had a more gradual taper. That tells me the fuel metering in the 08 is more controlled by the needle and less dependent on 'air bleed' from the mixture screw.

The 08 mix screws were 1.5 and 2.0 turns (R/L) which also lines up with this theory.

This tells me that the 08 went to a more progressive fuel curve, perhaps to take advantage of a better (more aggressive) cam, or maybe the engineers thought it would come off idle better that way.

The differences R/L in the needle and adjustment screw could be due to the asymetrical header, or it could be a number of other reasons, coolant flow in the block, or they just made one cylinder run richer for easy starts, but left the other cylinder leaner to pass emissions... i dunno.

Either way, i opened up the pilot jets with a drill bit. They were about halfway between a 79 wire and a 78 wire, so i went up to 78. Since the mix screw adjustment people are posting is 2.5 turns, it should have some room either way to bleed in more or less air.

I also sanded the taper on the needles down slightly to fatten it up as it tips in. This should help out more off idle where it sounds like the bike needs more fuel, without making it too fat on top. I'm already concerned that the 105 jet is on the big side.
ninjunk is offline   Reply With Quote