View Single Post
Old October 30th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #19
papawhellie
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): lots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Extremely common for someone to puncture the gas tank there. Patch fixes are temporary, some last longer than others.
I have been thinking on my tank hole issues. When I had it off I did jb weld around the threaded part on the tank.

This was on the left side. I did not do the right, why?? I have no idea but....
When I gassed up after using teflon tape on the bolt threads I had no leakage from the left with the jb on it. The right side did leak. This piece thet the bolts threads into when spottd at the factory was never intended to be a seal. So when the bolt goes through the threds and into the newly created hole in the tank the fuel flows out into the little cavaty here and leaks out through the cracks. Therefore sealing this up allows th fuel to come into that little space and not get by.

I had another brainstorm on a repair here as well. I wish I knew the paint programs and such so I could draw this but hopefully you can visualize. For those who have worked on weed trimmers and such I bought a fuel line kit once that had a piece of wire with a sharp hook. This was used to feed through the hole in the tank and out the gas cap. You then hook the new fuel line with the sharp hook and pull the line through the small hole and walla! Push the gas filter in the tank and hook the pulled line up to the carb and you are ready to go.

I am thinking that you could take a 5mm bolt long enough, preferably with a bigger head. Put a gasoline resistant seal, o-ring whatever on it and push a wire from the outside of the tank up through the cap. Tape on and pull the bolt back through the hole and tighten it up with a nut. Walla a leak proof fix and you have a stud to mount the faring. The reason for a 5mm is the hole is threaded 6mm so 6mm would not come through. Once you get the bolt through you can hold loosely on the threads to tighten r just double nut at the end and tighten the nut at the base.
papawhellie is offline   Reply With Quote