Old February 22nd, 2016, 12:53 PM   #279
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
Javi; I'm on my phone so I may not be seeing clearly but it looks like you're right: can't buy camshaft caps seperately without buying a whole new head.
Therefore; before I spent money on a used and unknown cap: I would reassemble the cam shafts & caps (using lots of moly grease like the instructions say) but without the cam chain on the cam shafts and slowly, carefully and evenly tighten the bolts finger tight as you go while tapping on the caps with a soft rubber mallet and rotating the cams with your fingers to see if there's any binding or difference in rotational friction between the two cam shafts. You may be able to reuse the cracked cap if it can be successfully assembled.
A second hand cap may have wear or machining differences that cause a poor fit between the used cap and your camshaft. Worth a try anyhow and what I would try first.
The reason for this is that the caps are machined to the cylinder head. The head and the cap are the bearing surface. You can't just go slapping a new cap on this head and expect things to work properly.

They are a matched set. You're on the right track.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote