View Single Post
Old March 19th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #54
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

I would not buy the ecotrons kit knowing what I now know about it. Mine is for sale if you want one. The throttle body is the biggest obstacle and most agree with that too. The OEM TB is the best solution but unfortunately it is expensive and in short supply.

The people who have had seamless and flawless installs have consistently been those that have used the OEM TB. The people that have had problems have pretty much universally been those using the kit TB.

Matt told me that he plans to come out with a new throttle body one day, but that there are other priorities right now. That is, he has no definite timetable for a new TB.

The other thing I am not especially thrilled with is the ECU. While the ECU doesn't seem to be having any major problems, the fact that its closed source and closed architecture bugs me. No real problem with it other than that. The Microsquirt ECU is both open source and open architecture. This is what Greg737 uses I believe. That is, you can download the schematic and build your own if you wanted to. Should it ever fail, there are a number of manufacturers that can sell you a new one.

If I get a good TB, I may try the kit again, but as of right now, its clear that the reliability isn't there.