View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #59
ecotrons
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
you'll see that micro/mega squirt modules are far more advanced than the ecotrons ECU.
Such statement requires substantial proof and knowledge.

MegaSquirt ECUs are designed to have one ECU to control all kinds of engines, all functions in one box. The result is to have coarse controls for every individual function. On one side, you don't need those 8 injector / 8 ignition drivers, obviously a waste or overkill; and on the other side, for each specific engine application, it is lack of details.

Some examples: to use a Mega/Micro squirt ECU to run a Ninja 250r engine, you will,
1) have to run batch fuel injections, not sequential fuel injections. What's the difference? you can google it.
2) not have ignition control capability because of unique stock pickup.
3) run with one oxygen sensor only, which will not be able to control AFR for each individuual cylinder.
4) no self-diagnosis capability.

Open source does not mean better. Not many people can modify the MegaSquirt ECU code or solder a Megasquirt ECU board. It is just for those who have rich electronics and software expereince.

This is not to understate Greg's achievement. I mean, he has done a great job by doing the whole project alone. I don't know whether he's got "VASTLY supported"; I know he's gone through tons of work for sure.
ecotrons is offline   Reply With Quote