View Single Post
Old March 19th, 2016, 04:57 PM   #29
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

I have ridden motorcycles around the world in many different countries that don't have laws specifically pertaining to motorcycle lane-splitting in any traffic pattern.

IMO, the problem in this country is that drivers are not accustom to motorcycles on public roads.

Drivers fail to understand what two-wheel vehicles are more maneuverable and well capable of safely operating within close proximity among cars.

Sure, a$$hat motorcyclists do exist that cause accidents, but likely in the minority when compared to drivers talking or txting on cellphones while operating their vehicles. The few that do cause accidents put a bad name for all motorcyclists, just like the few that pop wheelies in traffic and speed excessively and get away without causing accidents.

Whether federal laws would effect each state is not what's important; what's important is that if there is a federal law that allow lane-splitting, more likely more states would adopt similar.. and more motorcycles might be on the roads.. more drivers notice motorcycles.. maybe safer for all motorcycles?

I currently work/live in NyC metro area. While on 2-wheel, I filter, go between the car mirrors whenever traffic gets slower than 5-10 mph. Passed by many LEOs while filtering, sometimes the LEO's even wave my through the intersections.
I feel much safer doing so vs sitting still in traffic waiting to get hit or tolerate the car horns.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote