View Single Post
Old March 27th, 2019, 05:18 PM   #1
utn
ninjette.org newbie

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 1980 Yamaha XS1100 Midnight Special

Handlebars and Front Wheel Out of Alignment

Summary: After a moderate low-side accident, my handlebars and front wheel are not in alignment anymore. How can I find and correct the cause?

Hi everyone,
This is my first post and I haven't been able to find a solution after searching many different forums and YouTube videos.

Last July I had an unfortunate low-side with my 2014 Ninja 300. The main impact point appears to have been the left handlebar, accompanied by a bit of a slide. I believe I've corrected all of the damage to the bike, minus what my question is about.
The front wheel appears to point slightly to the left, relative to the handlebars, from the rider’s perspective.
I haven't been able to notice any bent or creased forks. I've lifted the front end of the bike on a steering head stand and loosened the bolts to the forks, axle, front wheel fender/shield, and the center bolt in the triple tree, in an attempt to relieve any twist or tension in the fixture. After wobbling it all around it still does not appear to have been corrected. When it's loose I can try to push the bars into a 'straight' configuration relative to the wheel, but meet resistance and feel that if clamped as such, it would be under stress and not in a relaxed/normal state.
I'm starting to think that there is something bent or damaged that I haven't noticed that is causing this.
I'm starting to run out of ideas :disappointed: I'm not certain if the bars are off, or the forks are off.
Any tips would be very appreciated.
Thanks!

These images are a little dated. The bike has all fairings replaced at this time, and a replaced left handlebar and clutch lever, fuel tank, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180818_133836 copy.jpg (192.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180818_135000 copy.jpg (141.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180706_165947 copy.jpg (169.5 KB, 10 views)
utn is offline   Reply With Quote