View Single Post
Old November 29th, 2020, 09:39 PM   #6
SibSerge
ninjette.org member

Name: Sergey

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ZZR250 (EX250H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco99 View Post
Folks, Nice to be a member of a like minded group. Just got a '86 Ninja 250 from a friend and it has been sitting for about 20yrs...give or take. Currently in the restoration mode. Removed the gas tank and the old gas that was in it...removed the rust with the apple cider vinegar solution. Currently have some seals for the petcock and rear brake master cylinder on order.

Currently looking for a replacement radiator...old one is rusted out at the bottom hose connection. Ones on ebay look a little suspicious and not sure about the new racing ones I see for sale. Any guidance would be appreciated.
I would replace all the rubber o-rings, gaskets and pieces. Cooling system, air box, bumpers in the rear etc. etc. The rubber of that age is usually rotten. I am no expert but I read the valve seats of those years are on the soft side. So valve checks , compression testing would be in order. Clutch basket bushings might be in a bad shape too. Some were sitting in oil - bottom , some out - top. You might want to upgrade it to the newgen basket with springs. Wiring and electrical in general requires good check at that age, cracks and lost insulation.
SibSerge is offline   Reply With Quote