View Single Post
Old April 25th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #10
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I am in the planning stage of a turbo.
Right now I use nitrous.The bike went 119 mph at Maxton last month with just a test shot. I go back in two weeks.
I am not some nut job throwing money around or talking smack. This is my idea of a hobby.I have been doing it for four years.

I am using nitrous to develop the engine. I gather data on the engine by testing it at the track and the dyno. Then tear the engine down and inspect it .Then move to the next stage.
When I am done I plan to use nitrous and a turbo. Strictly for Land speed racing. I have no idea how much power it will make .But this is what I know so far.
First... Carb + turbo is no good for my purposes. Because when you boost air through the carb it cannot handle the drastic fuel requirement going from vacuum to boost .It will always be out of tune somewhere.
If you try to pull fuel through a turbo and make a wet system. Two problems come up .One is the inter cooler will cause the fuel particles to fall out of suspension.Second is putting an explosive mixture of air and fuel under pressure in a pipe next to my leg is not my thing.

The whole engine has to be built for this. I have a set of Carrillo rods custom made .Next is ARP studs that hold the case together and the head and block down.Studs have a much higher strength then bolts. After that its custom pistons and cams, cylinder head and crank work that will change oil clearance and balance. I will use the balance shaft because of the 14500 RPM I want.
Then there is the head and special coatings that I am not going into.
The main thing is a master machinist to build the engine.This is not some back yard build.

As for the system .Micro squirt and a VERY small turbo . The exhaust pulses are very small with the 250 Ninja engine and getting the turbo as close to the head as possible is the first order of business. The inter cooler will be custom made and v shaped to fill in the area behind the front wheel so it will be close to the turbo but not affect the overall aerodynamics of the bike.

I want to mount the throttle body on the inlet of the turbo.Then up at the intake manifolds there will be a 500cc plenum. The injectors for the fuel will be in the head and the nitrous injectors will be in the manifolds.I have not gotten compression, boost, timing or any of that down .I will start with a conservative approach and build from there. This is not a street engine at all . It will be made for Bonneville Salt flat and the asphalt tracks on the east coast. I also will need to run it on methanol.As I said this is still in the planning stage things may change .

I will run nitrous till October then start building .I plan to spend nine months on the build. Money is no object since I have none. I have paid for Most of the engine already. But the rest will be done bit by bit .
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote