View Single Post
Old September 11th, 2017, 08:55 PM   #27
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
i would agree, but at some point you have to raise your comfort level. not riding over your head but riding above your comfort , thats where progress is also made. and pretty soon what was uncomfortable becomes comfortable. and the circle starts again, build skill sets, raise your comfort level. and keep your confidence in check. and watch the lap times drop. theres more than just skill.theres mental too.

you can have all the skill in the world and your comfort level is low,=high lap times.
no skill and a false sense of confidence,= crash.

everything in balance,= lower times.
Here's the thing though. Sometimes just putting in the work at the 80% mark, finding RP's, solidifying braking markers, adjusting your BP, moving your eyes up, means that when you do push yourself a bit more you aren't uncomfortable but just able to ride faster easier.

Here's an example. I race mini bikes at a local go-kart track. I've never owned my own mini bike, I just rode bikes that were offered or sponsored, usually a few weekends at a time here and there but I never had time to really practice and get used to the bikes. I never had time to really practice at all. I finally bought my own bike, went to the track and actually did the drills that I coach at the Superbike School (which I've never done on a mini bike at that track) and I just went through the motion, never scaring myself, never running off track or running too wide or getting even close to what I felt was the edge. I did no brakes, I practice my throttle control, I drew the track and found new RP's.

The next race (I was exhausted from returning from coaching 4 days in NJ the night before) I went out and smoked everyone. I smoked my old lap recored, I smoked people that usually beat me and I never once felt like I was uncomfortable. I won two races and came second in a hard fought battle where I hung on the leaders tail and bettered my PB time by over a second. The racing was amazing, so fast, so fun but methodical and consistent. More consistent than I have ever ridden in my life.

Sometimes when you try and push yourself or try and go fast it backfires but putting in the time and doing the work can often make you go faster without even realizing or feeling like you are going faster.

Here are 4 laps in a row from my lap timer. About as consistent as you can get and all personal best times for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4255.jpg (72.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4256.jpg (71.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4257.jpg (73.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4258.jpg (73.5 KB, 0 views)
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.