View Single Post
Old November 1st, 2016, 04:07 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Your wish is to provide useful information... i.e. instruction.

There are already many resources out there... Ken Condon's Riding in the Zone, for example, and lots and lots of youtube videos from people like CaptCrashIdaho. Pick a topic, do a video search and you'll find vast amounts of useful content.

Just not in motovlog form, because motovlogs aren't really set up to teach anything.

The thing about motovlogs is that they're inherently narcissistic, not instructional. POV video from some random rider prattling on about this or that... I have yet to see one that I could tolerate for more than a minute.

A year or two ago I picked up some action cameras to film my track riding. Of course I did test runs on the street. I can't stand watching it... even though it's my own riding on roads I love. It's just BORING.

Contrast this with actual instruction or how-to. Here's an excellent example of video used effectively:

Link to original page on YouTube.

In an attempt to answer your question about attracting new riders through motovlogging, though... think about how social media (which motovlogging is a form of) works. Content that, on the surface, looks interesting generates activity, and activity raises profile, which generates more activity and so on. So you need clickbait content. Ever wonder why you see so many motorcycle videos with the obligatory thong-wearing woman on the back of a sportbike as the still pic? That's why.

See where this is heading? It's the same kind of least-common-denominator crap that causes sensational, squid behavior to rise to the top. Far more people want to see fails and stupid human tricks than want to actually learn anything useful. Which is why the squid vloggers are so popular.

Want to attract more eyeballs? Create more compelling content, and a lot of it. Flood the web so that it can't be missed.

Want to attract people who are engaged and want to learn? Create more of what's out there in abundance already... good forums, good instructional video, thoughtful writing.

You're talking about a subset of a subset of a subset... new riders, eager to learn more, who also like motovlogs. That's not a big cohort IMHO.

People don't adopt the squid attitude because of what they encounter on the net. The attitude is there... it just gets reinforced. You're not going to take the "I NEED AN R6" moron and magically turn him/her into a careful, thoughtful rider through a motovlog. Those like you who think clearly and rationally about this stuff are already looking for places like this. They'll quickly lose interest in squid content.

I haven't owned a Ninjette in years, but I'm still here because of the quality. Sure, I have an account at gixxer.com but I hardly ever go there... because while there's some useful stuff, most of it is exactly what you'd expect.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote