View Single Post
Old November 8th, 2009, 12:35 AM   #109
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Well, we got it. I had a post ready but some key stuck and my mouse wheel started controlling my browser's back buffer and forced me to lose it. I'll get back to it.

Edit-OK here it is:

He had the nerve to call me an hour after I got off of my graveyard shift telling me that we needed to get right on it right away because his wife was "not happy" with it (it wasn't in the way or anything and I had offered the cover but he refused). He knew good and well that I hadn't had the opportunity to sleep since yet this morning or the previous day and this was before the places I had to call for assistance were even open. Jerk. Even if they were open at 7AM when I got off of work, he knew good and well that I didn't have the *ability* to pay any of them without my wallet. Anyway, none of those places had a replacement brake disc mounting bolt, so it only made sense to tighten the others back down and continue changing the tire. I got the bead broken and the tire swapped around noon and needed to wait for a ride to get it back down there to my bike. I stopped by Cycle Gear along the way for their free computerized balancing and they got it inflated and the bead set for me. I felt that had to buy something for the favor so I borrowed $3 from my sister to get bolts "to replace the one that fell off my chain guard." I'll probably return 'em as it doesn't match the remaining bolt and I plan to get the Sportisi hugger (it replacees the chain guard but does not use the bolts).

My sister finally got me there between 2PM and the car was billowing steam or smoke or something. "Mr. Former 'Mechanic' Guy" told her to drive it home over 20 miles away and told her not to check the water until the engine was cold. I kept pointing to the reservoir and saying that we can at least check/add there rather than risk damaging the engine but he insisted and we didn't want to argue with the man. My sister called back as soon as she left saying that she sees what I mean about this know-it-all as she knew that wasn't what you do when your engine overheats. She stopped at the 1st gas station to take care of it (way to go, sis ).

So, after rushing me and depriving me of a much needed nap, he no longer sees the need now that I'm there and procedes to waste my time when I have to finish and get home to sleep (I had to be awake for work again in 8hrs). He does this by refusing to listen when I tell him that I'll clean the chain guard and sprocket myself when I get home, so he starts setting up a bowl of water with boards to hold the sprocket over it and pouring some kind of "expensive stuff" onto it. I asked if that was some kind of grease cleaner and he said "Nope. Better. It's brake fluid." He then used a paint scraper to unevenly scrape away black paint on all sides of my sprocket! I wanted to go up a tooth in the front but now I'm considering also going down a tooth in the rear thanks to this guy.

Anyway, the greased pieces that insert on either side of the wheel hub kept falling onto the concrete while we were trying to mount it and he kept picking them up and reinserting them when they were covered in bits of gravel and dirt! I would *immediately* remove them and wipe them off and add some of the grease he he had around but of course he had already contaminated the grease inside the hub and he wasn't about to take the tire back out and clean all that out.

Anyway, even inserting the axle from the right, the only way we could do this was to call out his son and turn it into a three-person job. The caliper mount thing or those hub pieces would fall out and it was seemingly impossible to keep them aligned. I eventualy just raised the tire on a small brick to get it close enough to slip on the calipers then raise that to align with the axle and insert. I noticed that doing so had pried the pads open, which would have made this a lot easier with the first attempts but I thought you weren't supposed to touch them with anything. For future reference, how should I force them apart next time?

So, yeah, everything is on and aligned and I ask if he has a 22mm socket adapter so we could torque it properly and he acts like that was some insanely huge size that he wouldn't possibly have (what are all those drawers FOR in your tool rack then? ). He insists that we just tighten it "really tight." We get it aligned and do so and I give it a test drive and everything seems fine. I drive it home and the alignement is off by a whole measured segment. Well, I'd rather do it myself without his help so I'm off to buy a 22mm socket. I *do* have a 17mm socket for the other side of the axel but, if I read my torque there, will I get an accurate reading?

Now I just want to hurry up and change my chain and sprockets so I can ask some pros to do it and get everything torqued and regreased along with that brake disc mounting bolt repaired. Is 10,000 miles too early/waste of a good chain?

Last futzed with by CZroe; November 8th, 2009 at 10:02 AM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote