View Single Post
Old February 11th, 2023, 06:04 PM   #9
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Hummm....
Well I got the 250 Ninja running again but something is amiss.....
it doesn't want to take throttle very well and at about 4,000~5,000 RPM's it flat tops and won't go any higher in RPM it also is missing when it does that....
..... I'm thinking that I may have a vacuum line plugged in wrong as it sounds lean
....Now granted I have NOT adjusted the idle air screws (fuel air idle adjust screws at the bottom of the carb's ) yet and no doubt I should do that next.... but I just wanted to hear it run again and make sure the tappits were sounding correct after my valve adjustment... (they were noisy at first but soon quieted down nicely.)
it feels like carbs to me ! but I have alot of faith in Gordons work and suspect it is something else .... like maybe vacuum lines plugged in wrong....that is about ALL it could be... that and adjusting the fuel air screws.... though I have never encountered
fuel air screws effecting the general run of an engine before but these carbs are very finicky.... it might on these !!! I did get a bit of carb overflow off the left carb but I tapped the bowl with a wrench and it finally stopped.... they sat dry for a long time
so I think that cured itself ...
I did get it to Rev to 9,000 RPM's a few times after it warmed up but it won't hold a high RPM it dropped down in RPM to about 6,000 RPM and it sounded terrible missing and as though it was fighting itself..... like it was lean.... i found that if I let it idle a few seconds and then grabbed the throttle it zoomed up in RPM's great but if I crept up in RPM's slowly it would only go as far as 5,000 RPM's and then level out and not go any faster..... which is weird I've never encountered that behavior before....
I tried putting it on PRI to make sure it was getting gas .... and that didn't change a thing.....I thought at first it had but I let it idle for a short time while I did that... gave it the gas and it grabbed the R's great try to go that 3 or 4 times in a row and it levels off at 4,000 RPM ~5,000 RPM.....
I'll adjust the fuel air screws next and get them right I can tell they do need adjusting
in fact that may well be all that is wrong with it.... LOL
if anyone see's an obvious problem here....( besides me doing it LOL) please speak up
as I am confused !
Bob......