View Single Post
Old March 3rd, 2023, 01:53 PM   #31
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Yep.... I've herd is said that the two most happiest times is when you buy a bike and when you sell that bike.... which is really strange but sure seems to be that way on this bike for me....
it was a learning experience from the start.... buying it on line #1... without ever riding it was a big leep of faith.... and one HUGE Mistake....if I would have rode it before I would never have bought that heavy pig !
I wanted a fuel injected bike and one with ABS... and my learning of how they work was passable I think.
I am NOT impressed with the Power output of the E.F.I. machines that's for sure.... it's not like they have More power than Carbureted bikes... in fact they have less by quite a bit.... in general.
I've always been a Bagger type guy sense my 305 Honda so having all the plastic saddle bags on it was a big plus.
but that just added more weight to an already too heavy machine.

the ABS brakes I think are slightly better that the older cable operated brakes of my youth.... but they definately have to be used in unison or they
do not work properly .... use both brakes and to be honest i rarely touch the front brake.... obviously I do if I need to stop fast, but ABS brakes were not meant for an old bike rider like me ! using one brake alone is really bad news.... from personal experience I came flying up to a stop sign and hit just the rear brake enough to get that big fat wide tire to brake loose and skid
and then the rear brake let off...... still moving at a fairly good clip I pumped the rear brake again and had brakes again up to the point the rear tire skidded... and then it let off almost completely again.....
this shocked the Hell out of me ! I could not believe any bike would have a system of brakes on it that would let off once the wheel skidded... but that is what they do if you only use ONE brake..... SUPER DEADLY !
the same stop sign about the same speed using both brakes was totally different.... I eased into the front brake and then hit the back brake extra hard to get it to skid... it did and the bike continued to slow down quite fast
and the rear wheel only chirped as it broke traction for a split second but continued to hold hard enough to keep stopping the bike.... while alot of that braking force was transferred to the front wheel to add more stopping power.... and in reality I probably stopped faster going to that stop sign
than I ever had in my life.... I was Impressed to say the least....
.... so I have Misgivings about ABS brakes..... I hate the fact that if your only using the back brake to slow down that it can all of a sudden just release the rear brake all together for you.....that is the dumbest thing I have ever seen ! but if your riding properly and not "the lazy ways of Old" you won't have that problem..... USE both brakes and your fine. but definitely USE both !
The Huge Dash display on that bike was something I liked from the very first thing.... with everything displayed about the bike you could think of it was the first of it's kind for me.... And I loved it
And having a whopping 6 gallons of gas in the tank after a fill up it was definitely meant for the long haul..... I remember riding all Month and still having 3/4 of a tank....
Now if I could have that entire package in a 250~300lb package I would be super happy.... but 450lbs and another 75 lbs of crap in the bags it's just too heavy. It crused at 70~80mph with no problem so top end speed was just right.... there was no need to change the gearing.... (which was a good thing as no different sprockets were available)
I learned alot from "Miss Piggy" but I want something lighter that I can throw around on a dirt road or ride to the local grocery store to get a gallon of milk.....it's not so important to me now that it has to do 80mph....
so that opens up the smaller bikes
....in the yard I have a Triumph 750cc a Kawasaki Ninja 250R and a TT250cc
although the Ninja is still in the shop I hope to have her up to snuff soon
all this snow lately has put me off.....
So I'll probably mess around with the TT250 alot more this year. !
It's been an interesting journey with the RX4 but not one I will repeat.

Bob.......