View Single Post
Old February 2nd, 2013, 01:07 AM   #21
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I'm pretty sure it's dead enough.

Parts need replacing. Things need adjusted. Things break. It's part of owning a vehicle. For $60, you can get a brand new petcock that works perfectly and never have to worry about it again. Just replace it and consider it a rite of passage.
Ah! There it is. We have a basic misunderstanding about the type of issue.

If it's the petcock problem we were warning him about then it's not something that broke and then needed replacing, as you suggest. See? It's something that never worked and caused serious and expensive seemingly-unrelated collateral damage to the rest of the engine for me and other unsuspecting newgen users. It's also something that people would overlook as the cause of their engine trouble and specifically choose to do nothing about, assuming they ever even knew about the leak. Note racer x's quote above: "you will not know what happen[ed]." The only way some people can know is if we talk about it. I know I would have appreciated the warning. Even once I knew about the leak, I made no connection with my gassy-smelling oil because:
A) I didn't know oil wasn't supposed to smell like that (both are petroleum products),
B) it happened very fast after each oil change,
C) no one I inquired with about the smell warned me, and
D) I had no idea how gas flowing from where it was meant to flow would get in my oil.

I didn't know what was up until my cam chain started making a horrible racket.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote