View Single Post
Old September 17th, 2017, 08:02 AM   #8
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwDang View Post
Tracking was obviously something important that allowed you to "destress". I'd look at this issue and the risks a lot harder before throwing in the towel. You can still track, just dial back the aggression a little
Well, I've already thrown in the towel in a way that has some finality - I sold both my track bikes.

It's not just me, I have my family in mind also. I'm a bread winner in my family and it would be rough financials if I were gone. My daughter is still pretty young and I feel like I need to be in her life for at least another 10-20 years. Then there's life insurance. If a doctor tells me to stay away from the track, and I go anyway and die, will my life insurance pay out? Given the dirty insurance industry these days, probably not. Make a claim and their whole team goes to work trying to figure out a way that they don't have to pay.

2016 was just racing for me on my 300 aside from 2 track days. Seems kinda hard to dial back the aggression in a race. I could do it for track days, but then I'm mostly worried about other people's stupid moves. One of my two major crashes was at a track day, caused 100% by someone else.

But anyway, I've come to accept life without me on the big track. The interesting part is that while that door has closed, others have opened. I used to race mountain bikes and road bikes, and I did it with a genetically defective heart valve that only allowed 60% of the blood flow of a normal man. With my valve replaced, my heart is back to 100% and my fitness level potential that had degraded little by little my whole life now has some potential. By this time next year I expect to be way more back into biking. Beats where I was this time last year - my doc said to keep my heart rate under 140 or my ascending aorta may burst.