View Single Post
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:45 AM   #62
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngrNewf View Post
I don't think you realize the extent of these hills...Breaking 'into' the long steep spiraling mountain of death doesn't really do much for me in the end other then make my engine really mad when I tell it to break for me.

You can engine brake the whoooooooole way down, your engine won't mind... honest

Practice these hills... Start at the top in say...oh, 2nd gear and just let the bike's engine hold you back the whole way down. Then.. maybe try it in 3rd gear.. you'll descend a bit faster.. then 4th.. etc. You'll get a feel of how fast your bike will let you go down the hill in a particular gear. Use whatever gear you need, that will keep the bike's speed down to a speed you find comfortable. You'll also find it's OK to drag a little front brake to assist the engine braking while going a spiral - down hill. Light pressure, not "stopping" pressure on the brake lever.

If your hill is 10 miles long... you can use that engine to help keep your speed down (engine braking) the entire distance... bikes like that kind of stuff
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote