View Single Post
Old June 11th, 2019, 08:18 PM   #6
ninjette.org member

Name: Garry

Motorcycle(s): GPX250 1989 model and 1990 model

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluxX View Post
I will stop there on the way to work tomorrow . I actually spoke to the receptionist over the phone not the mechanic, she definitely said timing chain(perhaps she meant the actual chain between the sprockets instead??) was worn and that the mechanic highly recommends replacing it. She made it sound pretty dramatic to. Id like to speak to him directly tomorrow then. I cant imagine they would misdiagnose as they a pretty large professional service center with multiple mechanics...
A few people have now mentioned that it isn't something that occurs with that amount of mileage though which makes it quite questional. I would also have to basically pay double the price I intended to because it was only due for a service. Thank you @DannoXYZ for the helpful info, much appreciated.
I think you may have answered your own question. Big dealership, lots of mechanics and staff in general and big overhead costs. Professional yes but perhaps with a tendency to over service on occasion when things are a bit quite. I would get a second opinion on the cam chain or compared how your engine sounds to a similar one. If it is in fact the drive chain and sprockets they are referring to well fair enough as they can easily wear out by that sort of mileage.