View Single Post
Old October 5th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #72
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

I'm about as far as I can be from MD and still be in VA. That said, I do have some friends not too far from Silver Springs and my girlfriend's parents are in Fairfax, VA ~40min away.

Very happy to help you out man, esp if you're willing to pay a little. I'm semi-pro with soldering, I'm employed as a lab technician (which includes fixing/build experimental apparatuses) and have (obviously) done this before. Think it took me ~20 hours of work to get it all together. Can definitely do it in less a second time, but it'll still be significant time.

The build that Tri (and I) did results in both bulbs on upon start-up, with both of them switchable to 'high' beam with the stock switch flipped. If you've taken a look at his DIY (linked above, post #27) you'll see that's pretty much how the relay works. The retrofit necessarily changes bulb type and the plug, since you can't power HIDs without a ballast to provide the initial 'spike' of voltage to get the bulb lit. The only part I'd have to figure out is the halos and how to wire them in, but that's easy stuff.

If you're quite serious on this, I can dig up/get together my complete parts list. I wound up building the wiring harness pretty much from scratch b/c the one I bought was terrible quality & the cable lengths were all wrong. I also went with fairly top-end parts for the bulb/ballast, which I've never had cause to regret.