Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberpolly View Post
How do you know?

Dainese jeans do have impact protection built in, and you can buy additional armor.

I mean, it's not racing leathers, but they do offer protection.
How I know: I have been burned by denim jeans that, without getting ripped, transferred enough heat from friction against pavement into my skin.

I have seen similar injuries in riders wearing dragging jeans.
Kevlar and cotton have the same heat transfer coefficient: 0.04 watts/(m-K).

I have not seen the same phenomenon from 600D and above weight Cordura.
Maybe because its coefficient of friction is much lower than denim and less temperature is developed during a slide; I don't really know.

What I know: That, with enough pressure on it, denim tries harder to grab the rough asphalt surface, reason for which is easily teared and in need of threads of Kevlar as reinforcement.
The dragging jeans have internal patches of Kevlar as a second and stronger layer of protection against rash.
Depending on quality and severity of slide, those patches can also break and expose skin.

Good CE approved armor is normally bulky because it is made to absorb impact energy and should cover at least knees and hips.
Thin armor suitable for jeans may be good enough, but only if manufactured with the proper materials and certified.
Please read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_armor

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote