View Single Post
Old October 2nd, 2018, 08:27 AM   #21
gantt
ninjette.org sage

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, Sold 2012 Ninja 650, Sold 2009 Ninja 250r, Sold 2007 DRZ400s

i have my dads old beam style craftsman. i've never used it. i myself do not care for the digital, electronic ones. i have seen them used incorrectly, and cause major issues. 20 grand on one repair in one case. the torque angle feature is very easy to mis-use the wrench, the wrench does not accurately measure angle if you are not careful.
a lot of fasteners are torqued to a lighter number, then angle tightened the final step, vs only a torque spec. say, 30 ft/lb, then 90 degree, 90 degree and 90 degree for a 6.7 power-stroke head bolt. i like angle specs, hard to mess that up. a simple $20 rig gets you as accurate as you'll ever need to be. i actually just mark my sockets at four points and use that to gauge my angle. lol. so simple, yet effective.

i admit, i do not torque most things to spec, sealing surfaces, i will torque, or if a fastener would cause a major amount of work or damage if it fails, i'll spec that out. other than that, i just use common sense and good feel.
gantt is offline   Reply With Quote