View Single Post
Old April 18th, 2020, 03:41 PM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
No, it's fine get it.

"Gummed up" is due to process, not just sitting around. Typically caused by:

- overheating. This distills oil, burning off its lighter components and causing it to thicken.

- letting oil-level get too low. This causes what little's left to get overstressed and overheated. Leading to sludge.

- too long between oil-changes. More of concern with dino oil as it breaks down faster and burns from the start. Full-synthetics can go 5k-10k miles without any issues. Honda says 7.5k-miles or 1-yr for synthetic on my '06 CBR600RR whichever is sooner.

- using crappy dino oil. These oils have lower flash-points, lower viscosity stabilizers, lower extreme-pressure/heat additives. Under normal use, they will lose viscosity AND darken and burn and stick to surfaces causing sludge. Under extreme use, they will do it even quicker. Mileage doesn't matter, dino oil burns from mile-1. Just say no and use full-synthetic always.

So... given that low mileage of engine, there's very little chance of sludge and gummed up engine even with using crappiest oil possible. Should still take valve-cover off and inspect for burnt-oil. And check valve-clearances, that'll tell you true mileage of engine. Here's my 35-year old VF500 at recent valve-adjustment. While as starving-student, I did use cheap dino-oil, I wised up and have used only full-synthetic past 30-years. Not a bit of sludge to be seen!

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; April 21st, 2020 at 01:26 AM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote