View Single Post
Old June 12th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #49
walty87
ninjette.org guru

Name: andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asspire View Post
yes, the yellow wire that goes into the diode pack is from the stator, when the bike is started it feeds power thru the diode into the red wire which powers the coil for the headlight relay, so that means that if there is voltage at the red wire when the bike is running, we can assume the relay is at fault, if there is no power, then possible bad diode or bad stator/shorted stator since your running voltage is so low.

I'm doing write up on replacing/test stator and voltage regulator which I'll post when I get home
Will test the red wire coming out of the diode this evening and see what it does. Hopefully there is power on the red wire, and my relay is shot! lol. I've never wanted there to be a problem this bad before ! Just want to find out what it is exactly and fix it! I'm no electrician

if there is no power on the red wire can we assume its either a bad diode or a faulty stator (this sounds bad hope it's not that haha).

was I correct on checking running voltage by putting the positive side of the tester on the positive side of the battery and the negative part of the tester on the negative side of the battery? and checking that reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
So, we don't have any headlight, even with the engine rotating.

1) Ground the negative leg of your voltmeter.

2) Turn the ignition key to the on position, but don't start the engine.

3) With the positive leg of the voltmeter, touch the naked metal dots on the top of the fuse #5 (headlight / 10 A / gray wire)

4) If volts' reading there (value does not matter), follow that grey wire up to the headlight relay. That relay has our gray wire, one blue/yellow, one yellow/red and one red. We will need to measure the voltage at the yellow/red and at the blue/yellow.

5) Start the engine.

6) The yellow/red and the gray wires should have measurable voltage with the engine rotating.

I kind of did step #4 last night. At the blue and yellow I got a 0 reading with the bike running.

Will do everything you mentioned this evening once I get a hold of my tester.

Thanks again guys. I'm about ready to take this guy to the shop! But I like learning even though it is kind of stressful
walty87 is offline   Reply With Quote