View Single Post
Old March 13th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #16
Mitch and Sarah
ninjette.org member

Name: Mitch & Sarah

Motorcycle(s): '99 EX250, '87 KZ305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch and Sarah View Post
I did not get another engine. I was planning on pulling the head to fix the valve issue, but I just ordered an air adapter to screw into the spark plug hole so hopefully I can compress the cylinder with air and be able to get the valve spring back in place myself.

Mitch
I finally tackled this this weekend. Ordered one of these:
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...Code=POW301051

Once I received it, I went down to my local hardware store and got the proper fittings to hook it up to my compressor. Regulated the compressor to 30-40 PSI, hooked everything up and viola, valve stays up! It was not easy to get the springs compressed but we were successful after a few hours of trying.

I put the cams back in, set the timing, adjusted the valves and fired it up. Synced the carbs and it was running great! Until it started knocking like crazy----uh-oh. Turns out the guy who did the motor work last year "forgot, or lost" a few pieces to the CAM CHAIN TENSIONER. I found out that the knocking noise was actually a ridiculously loose cam chain. I took out the tensioner, and it was missing part numbers 92144 (large spring), and 92027 (collar) (diagram here: http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_sectio...1999&fveh=8510. The shaft was all beat up from where the ball-bearings were beating on it as well. I just ordered a whole new assembly (shaft,springs,bearing,collar) for around $40.

Here is a vid, prior to the tensioner noise (beware, crappy cell phone vid):

Also, I managed to install the rear turn signals and do some re-wiring to the rear lights, and also the Signal Dynamics Back-Off-XP brake modulator that I bought a while ago. Here is that stuff all installed, showing what will happen when the brakes are pushed (I had a rope tied around the brake lever & handlebars to turn the brakes on, another crappy cell phone vid):

Mitch