Old April 30th, 2014, 03:44 AM   #23
auntymunga
ninjette.org member

Name: Samantha

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegone View Post
Hello everyone,
soon to be Ninja owner looking for some advice from the guys that already own one!

Let me start by saying I joined this forum because it seems to be the most popular when it comes to this specific model at least that's what I read haha

Okay so; I've been looking for a bike for about a month now, new deals show up everyday on craiglist. I'm looking to spend ideally 2,000$ in a bike but most sellers won't go under 3k. I watched a couple how tos on this specific model about "what to look for when buying a ninja" so deff I don't want any dropped ones or scratched up. I also preferably buy a black or red one.

My top choices are;
1) 2010 Red 250R - 500 miles (3000$) already went to see it. Mint condition.
2) 2012 Red 250R - 2800 miles (2500$) going to see and probably buy on Saturday.

Both original owners, title in hand.

2010 girl owner said she's selling bc she needs the money, hasn't done any maintenance to the bike either. At 500 miles it shouldn't need much. One thing w the bike when idling I revved it and it shut off. She said it takes a while to warm up and after 4-5 mins it didn't shut off sounded good.

The 2012 one said she bought it last year only did oil change at 500-600miles and hasn't done any maintenance to the bike ever since. It is running no issues she said it's like new. Reason selling bc of kids / family it's a girl owner.

Here are my questions.

I absolutely love the 08-11 body, but the 2012 is newer and cheaper, I was wondering if there's any way to remove the "graphics" or decals, it has like a black one in the middle of the body and then those white arrows or stripes that I don't really like. Are these removable? Or painted under clear coat?

Second thing, both these bikes are 45min-1hr away from my house and I wouldn't feel comfortable riding them back. What's a cheap tow/shipping service I could use once I buy it?

Third, list a few things I should be looking for, common issues and to the best of your knowledge which bike should I take. But I think a 2010 bike with only 500 miles is prob a worse buy than a 2012 with 2800. Don't know much about bikes so any help will be appreciated!

Sorry for the long story wanted to share as many details as possible. Looking forward to this community and new friends
Either one is a good choice to be honest. If you want to remove the decals then have a look at a post I wrote when I was freshening up my bike here: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=175578 Obviously you don't have to read the whole thing but I had those monster green stickers which I hated and I removed mine before continuing so have a look

Anywhoo, welcome to the 250 family

auntymunga is offline   Reply With Quote