View Single Post
Old August 21st, 2021, 03:48 PM   #62
frostyflammable
Race, Brake, Fix, Repeat

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250

Small update, the rings came in and I decided to start on some of the work.
Had no idea what to clean the carbon deposits with so since I had a whole gallon of WD40 I decided to use that and some Scotch Pads. That was the ticket, it cleaned them very nicely no doubt about that. The piston rings came in and after a through cleaning they went in there no problems.

I also did find the reason cylinder 2 had no or almost no compression. The intake valve closest to the timing chain is pretty bad, I am guessing at some point this engine was hydro locked, either from outside water or maybe a coolant leak. Would also explain when I drained the oil it just did not look right to me, and I am pretty sure the level was over full. Things are starting to make sense in this engine.
I did also lap the rest of the valves to verify they have a seal and after lapping all of them had a nice sealing groove. Per the service manual I did measure the valves for wobble, diameter etc and all was within spec.

The cylinder liners were also hones and they came out good enough, no high or low spots I can feel, so I re-installed the pistons into the cylinder sleeves.

Everything has been cleaned up from old gasket material to other crud that was built up. I did also check to make sure the sealing surfaces were straight and true and from my unexperienced eye and a straight edge all seems well.

Adding pics to show progress. I am still waiting on the gaskets to come in and now I will have to find a new intake valve to order.

Thanks,
Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-2675.jpg (88.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-2676.jpg (101.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-2677.jpg (110.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-2678.jpg (103.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-2680.jpg (111.4 KB, 3 views)
frostyflammable is offline   Reply With Quote