Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennetht View Post
........I think I am going to give the wire tie option a try. Question though, for the wire tie, do I need to have the reservoir cover on or off?
The reservoir cover and rubber seal should be in place, as well as the cap of the bottle with which you refill.

Air humidity is the other big problem that can lead to spongy brakes.
While the brake fluid is in direct contact with humid air (and all air is humid to certain degree), it is absorbing that water.
With braking heat, that water becomes steam, which acts as air in the lines, ....... or worse.

Think of your problem as two fluids (air and brake fluid) inside a container (caliper, hose, master) and under the influence of gravity.
Previously, you did fill that container completely with the fluid named air.
Then, you did pour some brake fluid into the container.

The liquid tends to occupy the lowest point in the container, while air goes up and some bubbles stay trapped in any geometry that creates a pocket for it.
Think like a bubble trying to reach the surface of the fluid at the master cylinder: if you cannot mentally, you may have air trapped at that point.

The traditional flushing system works by dragging some of that air out with the high speed of the fluid, but it seldom eliminates 100% of the trapped air.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.