View Single Post
Old December 12th, 2021, 01:42 AM   #1
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Harbor freight 4"x6" metal cutting band saw....I got one !

Well I just finished getting the little band saw up and working !
I made the first cut on a 1/8"x1" flat steel bar....
held the saw off the work started it and eased it down on the work...
it cut through it like butter ! much faster than I could do with ny hack saw OR recopicating saw ! it did not turn itself off however but I realised I was holding some upward pressure on the head so that is probably why.
... there is a gillion things that need adjusting on this thing the guid bearings blade tension and tracking all are yet to be done but I had to try a first cut anyway... everything looks very close to being spot on but I won't know for sure till I adjust them myself.
....I did deviate from the assembly instructions on the pullies I didn't put them on in the direction they called for I flipped them over and put the smallest pulley closest to the motor, the reason for that was the motor shaft is only about 2" long and the pulley is 3" thick and on the big pulley side it is recessed a good inch ...if I put it on the way they said only about 1/2" of the pulley would be firmly attached so I flipped it over and got the full use of the
metal in the pulley, pluss that puts the most used pulley slot closer to the motor bearing not way out on the end of the shaft so it was a win-win to do it that way. the other pulley's shaft was longer so it didn't matter which direction I put it in so it could be flipped as well and I have 3 speeds.
it is currently on the slowest speed . and will probably stay there 90% of the time.
all in all it has exceeded my expectations by a long way. this little saw cuts good and seems to be a really nice saw....
personally I thought this little saw was going to be a PIECE OF JUNK ! but nothing could be further from the truth ! ...
I have watched hundreds of HF bandsaw reviews and fixes and thought I'd have to modify the heck out of it just to get the silly thing to work...
but that is not the case......SO FAR ! LOL
I want to adjust the tracking the very next thing as I don't want those iron wheels knocking off the inside teeth on the blade ( a common problem)
i didn't notice any blade jumping around at all most do ...but this one doesn't
....so that is good... the blade guides are touching the blade or at least seem to be, as they all turn when the blade is moving so they may be too tight
all in all I am quite happy with my new metal cutting band saw... now I gott'a find a place for it in my tiny shop ! !!!!that ain't so easy !
Bob.......

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.