View Single Post
Old May 28th, 2022, 09:26 PM   #1
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Bike won't start...

It's been a while since I have ridden and been a while since I have been on here.

Bought a new battery, took the carbs out, took them apart, cleaned the carbs and the parts in the Berryman cleaner, put it all back together. Bike turned on and would stay on, tried riding it a little and would sometimes turn off. Exchanged the new battery for another new Yuasa battery since the first new battery was not very reliable. Charged it up. Turned on the bike. It worked for two days. I have not taken it for a ride since it needs new tires and was waiting for those to deliver. Now it doesn't power on.

Good stuff:
-Battery is new and gets charged with a motorcycle battery tender
-Carbs were taken apart and cleaned
-new selenoid
-new wires going from battery to selenoid
-new starter
-All fuses are good
-New gas (some of that expensive over $4.60 a gallon gas, thats how new it is)

Symptoms:
-selenoid makes 1 click sound when start button is pressed
-starter not turning over
-push starting bike is unsuccessful
-clutch pulled in and in neutral or 1st gear, neither will start
-clutch not pulled in and in neutral, will not start
-selenoid wont "jump" when I get a screw driver and place on top of both bolts of the selenoid, sparks but nothing else
-headlight does not come on (all other lights do though) while key is in on position and the red button is switched to the on position, only gets 1 click from the selenoid when the start button is pressed
-battery is around 13V when connected to the bike (fresh off the battery charger)
-battery remains above 13V when the I try to turn on the bike
-when checking the selenoid with the multimeter, reads above 13V, as soon as I press the start button, it drops down to around 7V, clicks once, and that's it. This goes back up to around 13V when let go of the button to turn it on ( not sure if I am doing this right?)

I searched around previous posts and read many of the "jump the selenoid and if it works its..." and all of the posts the selenoid jump trick worked. Doesn't work in my case so I'm not sure where to go from here.

Any suggestions?