View Single Post
Old May 29th, 2022, 08:42 AM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Rob View Post
-headlight does not come on (all other lights do though) while key is in on position and the red button is switched to the on position, only gets 1 click from the selenoid when the start button is pressed
-battery is around 13V when connected to the bike (fresh off the battery charger)
-battery remains above 13V when the I try to turn on the bike
-when checking the selenoid with the multimeter, reads above 13V, as soon as I press the start button, it drops down to around 7V, clicks once, and that's it. This goes back up to around 13V when let go of the button to turn it on ( not sure if I am doing this right?)

Any suggestions?
Welcome back Rob! Do I read correctly that bike WAS running? Then started dying?

- headlight only turns on when engine is spinning

- large voltage drop below 10v is either dead battery or..

- load too high on starter and it's not spinning, thus large current-draw and large voltage-drop

1. don't make too many changes at once. It introduces multiple unknown variables into system. Test first to positively 100% identify a bad component before replacing. Original dying problem was most likely just loose kickstand switch. Now we've got many more things to test

2. test new starter - remove new starter. Clamp in vice and use jumper-cables to test. Negative cable on mounting ears. Positive on cable terminal. Does it spin?

3. test spinning engine by hand. Remove plastic cap on flywheel cover and spin engine with wrench. Might need to rock back & forth couple times. Then spin engine anti-clockwise towards front. If seized, remove plugs and squirt in PB-Blaster and let sit overnight. Once you've verified engine spins by hand.

4. put original starter back in

5. put original solenoid back in - be aware of M-terminal goes to starter, B-terminal goes to battery. There was guy who bought aftermarket solenoid with terminals reversed.
He wasted tonnes of time refusing to measure to figure that out

6. measure resistance of original battery cables, then put them back in

Basically we want to put your bike completely back together in state it was in when it last ran and start testing:

7. measure kickstand swich terminals: kickstand DOWN - back-probe kickstand connector. do they have continuity between terminals? do terminals have continuity to ground?

8. measure kickstand swich terminals: kickstand UP - back-probe kickstand connector do they have continuity between terminals? do terminals have continuity to ground?

9. measure kickstand switch terminals: dynamic conditions in UP position - back-probe kickstand connector, measure continuity between terminals. Then wiggle kickstand end around, does it change continuity measurement?

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; May 29th, 2022 at 09:58 AM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote