View Single Post
Old April 18th, 2021, 02:34 PM   #1
Gearbox Paul
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2007 CBR 125R (sold)

Chain Master Link: Clip vs Rivet

I have a 2010 250R and my chain is nearing end of life. Bike has 21000 km (about 13000 miles) on it. I suspect this is the original chain and sprockets but I can't be sure. I've been reading up on chains on this forum and others. At this point, I've decided that I want an o-ring or X-ring chain as opposed to a standard, non o-ring chain.

But I haven't decided on clip vs rivet masterlink. Many people seem to discourage clip style masterlinks saying they are not reliable, while others use them on their track bikes... Rivet masterlinks require a chain breaker/riveter tool that I will need to buy. There are many on Amazon, most of which have terrible reviews with people reporting that they break or squish pins or strip threads the first time they use them. I don't know if that's just people not using the tools correctly or not. Motion Pro makes a tool that has good reviews but it costs more than the chain.

So getting a chain with a rivet masterlink ends up being much more expensive for me because I have to buy the tool (which I'll likely only ever use once) compared to a chain with clip masterlink that I can install with common hand tools.

I'm looking for some honest advice on this. Am I a fool to consider a chain with clip style masterlink? What if a I safety-wire the clip? Or should I just bite the bullet and purchase a chain with rivet masterlink and the chain breaker/riveter tool. If so, some advice on a reasonably-priced tool would be appreciated. Thanks.
Gearbox Paul is offline   Reply With Quote