View Single Post
Old April 21st, 2021, 05:38 AM   #10
Gearbox Paul
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2007 CBR 125R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I was in the same situation some years ago and got the chain with the clip.
As someone said above, it's very important that the clip is properly seated. What tool will you use to compress the plates before putting the clip?
I didn't have the compressing tool, so I used a pliers. I managed to put the clip. It looked good to me. Went for a test ride and the clip was gone.

So I bought the cheap compressing tool from Amazon. I guess it was 12 or 15 dollars and a new rivet master link for about $5. This time everything went better. With the compression tool, I could see the plates were in the right place and even felt that I could put the clip now, but I didn't have it anymore.
Anyways, the tool worked just fine to rivet the master link and my chain was good for many miles.

I read many complains about the tool not working well, but some were also saying that the tool works fine if used properly.
I didn't have to cut the chain with the tool, but it looks like many people tries to cut the chain without 'dremelin' the connection pin first. And that's when the tools bends or breaks.
As for compressing the plates and riveting the pin, the cheap tool worked fine for me.
I plan on compressing the plates with a c-clamp and nut like what this guy is doing in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvRSXmnRRFg. Compress the plate evenly by alternating on each side until the distance between the inner and outer plates of masterlink is the same as the distance on the other chain links (as measured Vernier calipers). Once there, the grooves of the masterlink should be exposed far enough for me to install the clip. But I'll slide the clip on unlike what the guy in the video is doing. At least that's my plan.

And thanks for sharing your experience with the cheap tool on Amazon. When I read the reviews I got the feeling the users who broke the tool weren't using it properly. Agreed, if someone tries to push out a pin without grinding off the mushroomed head, they will break the tool.
Gearbox Paul is offline   Reply With Quote