View Single Post
Old May 16th, 2021, 09:28 AM   #4
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Name: Ioben

Motorcycle(s): 83' KZ750L3, 84' FJ1100, 94' VT600C, 07' K1200S, 09' EX250J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I don't have a specific place to look, but it might be a good idea to put a fuse or manual reset type circuit breaker in the circuit to keep from destroying more relays while you troubleshoot.

Welcome to the board, Corey!
Solid advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adabbledoo View Post
I just got this bike and the headlights did not work at all. No light on the dash for the brights when I tried to click them on, so I replaced the relay with one from oreilys. That worked perfect when at idle/warming the bike up. I took it down the road to the gas station and it had died by the time I got there. I swapped relays from the starter circuit and headlight to confirm it died, it did. So I repeated the same process with basically the exact same results.

I'm thinking there is a short somewhere. Does anyone have any pointers on where I should start looking?
I'd try to start troubleshooting at the handle bar controls first. There are a number of things that could've happened throughout past ownerships... Casing could've been overtighten and cracked on the inside, contacts could have come loose, wires could've been Jerry-rigged, etc. Once you've gotten all that sorted, start working down the wiring loom for "hot spots". Electrical issues are a huge PITA, but often ignored and most of the time bandaged, only leading to future problems that could potentially become a wild fire.
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote