View Single Post
Old August 1st, 2021, 02:22 PM   #12
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I saw that Bill ! LOL and I've never said that !
Usually when you have repeated blowing of parts you need to start looking at the Alternator/stator.... as you found one of the 3 wires out of the stator had been grounding, throwing big spikes throughout the system....
the next thing you might find is the voltage regulator is fried as well.
so check the charging of your battery.... it's a 12v battery so it needs 13.5V to 14v to charge.... and that voltage needs to be DC... not AC if your getting AC
at the battery that means your rectifier is blown.
if your charging is good, consider yourself extremely lucky as they blow out with the drop of a hat.

...to check the battery charging simply start the engine and put a Volt Ohm meter across the Positive and negative battery terminals and read the voltage ( on the 20v scale of the meter) then rev the motor to about 2000~3000 RPM you should get close to 14v , if so your good to go.
the Rectifier/regulator is a electronic unit it is both the voltage regulator and the rectifier for the stator/alternator....that is encapsulated in resin
so you can't fix it if you wanted to.... on my 2012 it's that finned box looking thing in front and off to the left side of the gas tank. under the fairing.
hope that helps...
Bob........